Asian Kale Salad
· 1 Tbsp. white sesame seeds
· 1 pound kale, preferably Tuscan, stemmed and thinly sliced
· ¼ tsp. sea salt
· 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
· 5 large Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· 1½ Tbsp. rice vinegar
· 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
· 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
· Crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish
· 1 scallion, thinly sliced, for garnish
Total time: 15 minutes
In a small skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium-high heat, shaking, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and set aside to let cool.
In a large bowl, toss kale with salt and 1 tsp. vegetable oil and rub into kale to soften. Add Brussels sprouts and toss well.
In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and remaining Tbsp. vegetable oil. Pour dressing over greens, add reserved sesame seeds, and toss well. Garnish with a pinch of red pepper flakes and scallion and serve.