WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR WHOLE GRAINS MONTH?
Whole Grains Month is a great time for everyone to get on the whole grains bandwagon. Eating better is not an all-or-nothing choice; every little improvement you make in your food helps – in every month.
Post this list of "baby-steps" on your fridge, and try as many as possible this month:
- I'll buy three different loaves of whole-grain bread and taste all of them to see which one we like best.
- I'll serve bulgur or brown rice instead of potatoes with dinner one night this month.
- I'll look for the Whole Grain Stamp every time I shop.
- I'll try a new breakfast cereal with at least 16 grams of whole grain per serving.
- I'll buy some whole-wheat pasta and try it.
- I’ll visit the health food store or a major grocery and look at all the different grains in bins.
- I'll make my favorite whole grain recipe for a friend.
- On the weekend, I’ll try cooking a pot of steel-cut oatmeal.
- I’ll make pizza for the kids with whole wheat pita as the crust.
- I’ll make our favorite cookies with whole wheat flour next time instead of white.
- I’ll serve hamburgers with whole wheat buns this week.