Follow these tips from Whole Foods Market to add whole grains to every meal:
Don’t think about whole grains as dinner-only meal elements; they can be enjoyed throughout the day.
- In addition to cooked cereals and porridges, consider slipping uncooked millet or plain cooked brown rice into your pancake or muffin batters.
- Add cooked whole grains to whisked eggs and sliced veggies for an elegant and filling frittata.
- Rolled oat-based granola is a breakfast staple – add rolled rye and barley to mix things up.
- Grain salads are lunchtime all-stars – lean on last night’s leftovers for mid-day mains that will fill you up until dinner.
- Pat cooked whole grains into "cakes” for an easy, hand-held meal.
- The quick and easy classic, brown rice and beans, is a protein-packed and totally customizable lunch staple.
- Whole grains are side dish champions, happy to be tossed in a cool vinaigrette or treated to a hearty stir in a risotto-like preparation.
- Bulk up vegetable soups with a handful of filling whole grains.
- Stuff cooked whole grains into hollowed out bell peppers, summer squash or eggplant,
Desserts and Snacks
- Add raw or cooked oats to your usual fruit mixture for ultra-satisfying smoothies.
- Whole grains of the puffed variety can be formed in protein-rich snack bars.
Try popping millet and amaranth in a dry skillet for adding to bars or sprinkling on yogurt.
- Transform brown rice into a classic dessert pudding with a few simple
MORE ON WHOLE GRAINS FROM WHOLE FOODS MARKET
Try this nutritious recipe for
Lemony Quinoa Garden Cakes!